“Meg, we need to talk.”
“Sure thing, Dad.”
“I have been to the___1___several times over the last few days, and well, Meg, I have a brain cancer.”
“Yep, just okay.”
It was the second half of my senior year, that______in a girl’s life when all the really big exciting events are happening. My final performance, my eighteenth birthday and my graduation, all___3___my mind in just two short months.
By my final performance Dad couldn’t really give his full___4___on it, but he was there. He bravely sat through my birthday dinner, and he___5___to get out of the hospital for my graduation.___6___those months, we both were caring about the same thing-me. His doctor said that by___7___on all my future events, it kept my dad___8___longer. Nine days after my high school graduation, my father died.
For the next two weeks after his___9___, I didn’t leave my room. Finally, my mom came in, opened my blinds(百叶窗) and gave me a letter.
It was from my father’s doctor. He wrote about how my father ___10___him to change his life and the way he worked. “… He was not___11___a patient to me. He___1___more for the people around him than he did his own___13___. I have never met someone who put everyone else first. He was the type of person I___14___to be.”
I was___15___. I came to know what I should do.
Days later, I got a job as a summer camp counselor. I___16___everything I had to these little kids, and slowly they helped to heal me without even___17___what they were doing. Their innocence had helped me___18___some of mine.
That summer___19___parts of the life my father led in his last few days. I had learned the___0___lesson my father was teaching me-in order to lead a fulfilling life, you must learn how to give of yourself to others.
1. A. doctor B. baker C. teacher D. lawyer
. A. time B. goal C. story D. thing
3. A. sharpened B. changed C. occupied D. influenced
4. A. congratulation B. presentation C. description D. concentration
5. A. failed B. intended C. decided D. fought
6. A. Since B. After C. During D. With
7. A. depending B. focusing C. insisting D. counting
8. A. alive B. active C. awake D. calm
9. A. recovery B. treatment C. ceremony D. funeral
10. A. forced B. inspired C. persuaded D. begged
11. A. even B. just C. always D. yet
1. A. cared B. paid C. prepared D. praised
13. A. benefit B. effort C. pain D. value
14. A. continue B. manage C. desire D. agree
15. A. disappointed B. surprised C. determined D. touched
16. A. forgave B. promised C. abandoned D. contributed
17. A. realizing B. believing C. guessing D. suspecting
18. A. maintain B. prove C. rediscover D. believe
19. A. indicated B. mirrored C. followed D. performed
0. A. lively B. final C. interesting D. painful
1. A I have a brain cancer.” Dad 得知自己得了癌症，这应该是从医生那里获悉的。
. A 分析此句的结构year,... when...，可以判断要填入的词是代替前面year的，故应选 time
3. C 从上文中看出，作者I对Dad的病情表现淡漠，原因是脑子里装的全是自己太多的所谓的大事。所以应选occupied “事情占据了大脑”。
4. D couldn’t really give full … on it, but he was there. Dad在performance,
5. D 前一句中的bravely,和后面的get out of hospital fight to do sth. /struggle to do sth. 挣扎着做某事
6. C since + 点时间; with “随着”;后面的时态是过去进行时 were caring about
7. B 照应第4题的D. concentration Dad在performance, birthday dinner和 graduation party 三件事上的表现，看出Dad对I的关注。
8. A Dad的病情，对I的关注和下文的died
9. D For the next two weeks after his , I didn’t leave my room. 联系上文中died和funeral的词义即可选定。ceremony “仪式”，词义过于广泛，不够具体。
10. B 根据下文引号内医生所说话的内容，即可判断答案是inspired, 谁也没有劝他改变什么，所以用不到persuade和forced
11. B not just =not only,从后面的话里看出Dad是病人，但并不是一般的病人，
1. A care for 关心;pay for 支付;prepare for 准备;praise sb for…为…表扬某人。根据词义即可选定答案是cared
13. C 答对此题的关键在于对前面did的理解。这里did代替了前面的cared for。理解了这一点，就不难选出正确答案是“自己的痛苦”pain了。
14. C 从医生对Dad这位病人的评价和第10题后所谈到的changed,即可以判断出这位医生很想做一个像Dad那样关心他人的人。
15. D 理解选项中的四个词的词义，即可选对答案是D，touched“感动”。
16. D 此句中I had 是定语，修饰everything, 后面的to是选择答案的重要依据，因为forgive, promise, abandon 这三个词后皆不跟介词to，从全文看出，I 也效仿了Dad的做法，更多地为别人着想。
17. A 孩子们的这种帮助是无意识的，他们并没有意识到是在帮I摆脱痛苦。所以选realizing
18. C 关键是理解后面some of them是什么，这里是some innocence of mine. rediscover即discover again意为 “重新发现”。
19. B 根据全文中心思想，I从Dad那里学到的后一课是“要想使自己的生活充实，就必须学会奉献自己于他人。”联系上文I对Kids的付出，可以看出作者这一summer的活法反映了他父亲的活法。If one thing mirrors another, this thing is similar to it or represents it.
0. B →Dad给I临死前的教育，谈不上“生动”、“有趣”，这一教育影响了后人，是有益的，也谈不上是“痛苦的”。临死前的一课也就是后的一课所以答案应选final.